February 14, 2008

Hug someone you love.


Last night, we watched Super Nanny. Yes, we watch crappy reality shows. Don't judge me, ha! ;)

The mom on the show was completely clueless and devoid of emotion with her kids. It seemed like she gave up on being a mother. It was pretty painful to watch her flounder and literally hide from her children during the day, to avoid interacting with them.

So, one of the kids on the show, her 12 year old daughter, says she can't remember the last time her mother hugged her.

My husband and I just looked at each other with tears in our eyes. We spent the remainder of the show talking about how we couldn't imagine not hugging Noah or interacting with him. In the end, the mother came around, but it was so heartbreaking. It made me wonder about what that does to a child's self esteeem in the long run.

So, not only on Valentine's Day, but every day- show the people in your life how much you love them. Throw your arms around them and squeeze!

1 comments:

Shannon said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

I can't watch Supernanny because I can't bear to watch other people's kids act like maniacs while I'm trying to relax after an active day with my own kids.

At least the mom got help though. It's tough to keep up the energy of being a mom when you're so run down. Depression can set in pretty hard.

I keep myself in check because I'm susceptible of getting too stressed out to deal with my kids. I get out every so often to decompress because I got to a point where I'd do the same thing that mom did....although I made a point to hug and kiss my kids. To me, that is as essential as feeding them food. Actually, it's more important.