July 9, 2008

A puddle of tears.


There's something about those Disney and Pixar animated movies that , for the better part of 3 decades have reduced me to a sniffling, blubbery, crying mess. I distinctly remember going to see The Fox and The Hound when I was a little girl. I was inconsolable for 2 days.

The opening sequence of The Lion King, with all the animals trickling in, and that music...like a chant at first, then swelling to a crescendo as Mufasa shows off Simba for the first time. How could something made of ink and paint fill me with such emotion?

Or, when Dory begs Marlon not to leave..."I look at you...and I'm home. Please, I don't want that to go away. I don't want to forget."

We went to see WALL-e for Noah's birthday on Monday. I cried at the beginning, During the middle and at the end. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, so I will just say that it is very cute and funny (kids and adults will love it), but there's a couple of really deep messages in this movie that got to me in a way that a movie hasn't done in a long time. It had me digging around my purse for a Kleenex, crying a puddle of tears. Go see it. You'll love it.

5 comments:

Carey said...

Great movie. Yes, a deep message indeed. And easily the most romantic Pixar film. I couldn't take my eyes off my daughter - watching the whole time with a big smile.

George said...

We saw the Lion King about a month after our son was born. We were both crying like babies at that scene you described.

I want to see WALL*E badly so we will have to go soon. THANK YOU HEAPS for not spoiling anything.

meanderings said...

I'm looking forward to meeting you on Saturday, w/ Bernard!

Shannon said...

That sounds like a great way to get out of the summertime heat. Thanks for writing about it!!! I plan to take the kids as a great diversion.

Bernard said...

OK thanks for the heads-up. I'll bring some tissues.

Of course my kids know me well enough now to look over at me during 'those' bits. So they won't mind me sniffling at the end of the row.