July 10, 2008

snapshot of a recent morning

Noah got up early the other morning, eager to go to day camp. He hopped up into "his" chair at the breakfast counter. I made him his waffles, and cut up some fruit while he tested.

Like an old guy at bingo, he called out the number: "57"! and then, softly...

"I'm sorry".

"Whoa, dude- never, EVER apologize for a blood sugar, you got that?" I leveled my gaze at him, the way only moms know how to do, to emphasize the seriousness of my tone.

I went on, "unless you've been sneaking Nerds, and Everlasting Gobstoppers, washing it all down with a Wonka Bar, you do not have anything to be sorry about, ok"?

"Ok, mom" he chirped, as I plunked down his waffles.

It occurred to me that he's so eager to please, even with something he (or we) have such insignificant control over. Blood sugar does whatever the hell it wants, even in the best of circumstances. It stung to hear his apology. I hope I set his thinking straight. I hate the thought of him feeling like it's his fault.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Aw. I hate the thought of him feeling like it was his fault that his blood sugar was low. You're great at keeping the communication open, so I know his thinking will be set straight if it isn't already :)

Mortis said...

A low BS is nothing to appologize for. A bity frightening perhaps, but no reason to say sorry.

meanderings said...

I agree, no apologies.
Nice job of letting him know that it's NOT his fault!

Karen said...

He sounds like such a sweetheart. I'm so glad you let him know that a blood sugar is nothing to apologize for. He's lucky to have such a wonderful mom watching out for him!

Anonymous said...

This post could not have come at a better time for us... My son had the opposite high BG and my MIL thought we were blaming her, but we tried to explain it was just the circumstances...she was ready to give up on attempting to regulate her grandson, because she thought she failed. I read her this post and she realized that diabetes IS unpredictable and no one should take blame (unless they feed them a stash of Wonka stuff) but that if we blame ourselves, our children too will begin to blame themselves.

Thank you for your great blog...